Maris Piper Irish Mash
Serves: 6 | Prep Time: 10 mins | Cooking Time: 30 mins
- 1kg Maris Piper potatoes
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- ½ leek (finely sliced)
- ¼ green cabbage (finely sliced)
- 200g middle bacon (diced)
- ½ cup full cream milk
- 50g butter (+ extra for serving)
- sea salt flakes
- black pepper
- ¼ cup freshly chopped Italian parsley leaves
- Peel and chop the Maris Piper potatoes into 3cm chunks. Place into a large saucepan with 1 tsp salt flakes and just cover with water. Add a lid and place over high heat until it comes to a boil. Remove the lid and reduce heat to medium, allow to
- Meanwhile heat a large frying pan over medium high heat. When hot, add the bacon and cook, stirring once in a while until some parts are crispy and browned. Add the olive oil with the garlic and leek. Continue to cook, stirring regularly until softened but not browned. Add the cabbage with a good pinch of salt flakes and pepper and cook, while stirring, until wilted and tender. Turn off the heat and leave to one side.
- Drain the cooked potatoes and return to the same warm saucepan. Place the saucepan back on the stove and reduce the heat to low. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes. Add 1/2 tsp salt flakes and a pinch of pepper.
- Using a wooden spoon mix the butter and milk into the potatoes. When creamy add the cabbage mixture and the parsley and stir through. Taste and add more salt or pepper if you like.
- Serve hot with some extra butter (if desired) and sprinkled with black pepper.
Kitchen Notes: * This dish is great eaten on its own or served alongside some grilled chicken, sausages or any casserole/stew dishes.
|Address:||63 Nar Nar Goon Rd.
Nar Nar Goon Vic. 3812
|Phone:||(03) 5942 5205|
|Fax:||(03) 5942 5448|