Chicken & Potato Massaman Curry
Serves: 4-6 Prep Time: 10 mins Cooking Time: approx. 25 mins
- 2 tbs peanut oil
- 3 tbs good quality Massaman curry paste
- 1 brown onion (diced)
- ¼ bunch fresh coriander (stalks finely chopped, leaves picked and kept separate)
- approx. 400g baby Mozart potatoes*
- 500g chicken thigh fillets (cut into 3cm chunks)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 1/3 cup roasted unsalted peanuts
- 2 tbs fish sauce
- 1 lime (zested and juiced)
- 2 tbs palm sugar*
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tbs fresh ginger (grated)
- 400ml Can Coconut Milk
- fried shallots, lime wedges and steamed rice to serve
- Prick the potatoes 2-3 times with a fork and place in the microwave. Cook on Medium High heat for approx. 5 minutes or until just tender. Remove and set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile heat a wok or a large deep frying pan over medium high heat until hot. Add the oil, curry paste, star anise and cinnamon and stir continuously for around 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onion and coriander stalks and cook until for 2-3 minutes or until softened, stirring regularly. Add the chicken pieces and stir to coat in the mixture and cook for 3 minutes or until sealed.
- Add the coconut milk, peanuts, kaffir lime leaves and ginger. Stir to combine and bring to a gentle simmer. Add the potatoes and simmer for around 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and potatoes are very tender.
- Stir in the fish sauce, lime zest, lime juice and palm sugar.
- Serve over steamed rice some fried shallots, lime wedges and coriander leaves.
Baby Mozart potatoes could be substituted for baby Sweet Potatoes if desired which can be peeled and sliced into 1 cm pieces and added in Step 3 with the chicken – they will not require pre cooking.
Palm sugar is available in the Asian section of most supermarkets and gives a lovely caramel flavour. Brown sugar can be substituted.
Kaffir lime leaves and fresh ginger can be stored in a zip lock bag in the freezer and used from frozen to preserve their shelf life.
|Address:||63 Nar Nar Goon Rd.
Nar Nar Goon Vic. 3812
|Phone:||(03) 5942 5205|
|Fax:||(03) 5942 5448|