Sweet Potato Moussaka
Serves 4-6 Prep Time: 1.5 hrs Cooking Time: 45 mins
1 large sweet potato (approx. 500g)
olive oil spray
3 tbs olive oil
1 kg lamb mince
1 cinnamon stick
1 tbs ground all spice
1 tbs dried oregano
3 cloves garlic (crushed)
½ cup water
1 large brown onion (diced)
400g crushed tomatoes
White Sauce: 100g butter, 3 tbs plain flour, 2 cups milk
1. Peel the sweet potato and slice lengthways into thin slices (around 0.5cm).*
2. Heat a large fry pan over medium heat until hot. Spray the sweet potato slices with a little olive oil on both sides and season with S&P. Place a few at a time into the frypan and cook on each side until a little browned and just tender. Remove and set aside on a plate. Repeat with remaining slices.
3. Add olive oil to the same pan and add onion. Cook for a few minutes, stirring regularly, until softened. Add the cinnamon stick, all spice, oregano and garlic. Stir to combine and cook for a minute or two until fragrant.
4. Increase the heat to high and add the mince. Cook to brown for a few minutes and use a wooden spoon to break up any lumps.
5. Add around 1 tsp salt and a few pinches of black pepper.
6. Add the tomatoes and stir to combine. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for around 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 30 minutes, remove the lid and simmer for another 20 minutes, or until the liquid has been cooked away, stirring occasionally.
7. Preheat the oven to 170C Fan Forced.
8. Meanwhile in a small saucepan make the white sauce by melting the butter over medium heat. Add a pinch of salt and pepper then stir in the flour and cook over the heat, stirring continuously for a minute or so.
9. Add ½ of the milk, mixing quickly and continuously with a whisk until smooth. Whisk in the remaining milk and continue to whisk until sauce is thickened and just bubbling.
10. Stir through ½ of the feta cheese and set the sauce aside.
11. Remove the lamb sauce from the heat and stir.
12. Cover the bottom of a large lasagna dish 1/3 of the lamb sauce.
13. Lay some slices of sweet potato over the top, trimming if needed, to cover.
14. Top with another 1/3 of the lamb sauce and then another layer of sweet potato.
15. Top with the remaining lamb sauce.
16. Whisk up the white sauce and then spread over the top. Use the back of a spoon to spread into the corners evenly and smooth the top.
17. Crumble over the remaining feta.
18. Bake in the oven for around 40 minutes. Remove and stand for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
*A mandolin is a great way to slice the sweet potato thinly. If slicing with a knife you can slice into rounds rather than lengthways strips. You can use smaller sweet potatoes if preferred.
*This is a great “make ahead” dish that can be stored, covered, for up to 3 days in the fridge and reheated to serve. Slices can also be frozen, wrapped in cling film for up to 3 months.
© 2023 Red Gem Growers & Packers
Creative & Web by Design With Zach
|Address:||63 Nar Nar Goon Rd.
Nar Nar Goon Vic. 3812
|Phone:||(03) 5942 5205|
|Fax:||(03) 5942 5448|