Sweet Potato Scones
Makes: approx. 10 Prep Time: 15 mins Cooking Time: 15 mins
- 1 large sweet potato (approx. 500g)
- 2 ½ cups SR flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 60g butter (diced and at room temperature)
- 1 tbs apple cider or other white vinegar
- 1 egg (at room temperature)
- ¾ cup full cream milk +a little extra to brush on the tops
- 2 tbs fresh chives finely chopped (or other fresh herb of your choice)
- 80g crumbled feta
- Prick the sweet potato with a fork on both sides around 6 times in total. Place in the microwave on high power and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until soft when pierced with a knife, turning over halfway through the cooking time. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. (fan forced)
- Place the butter in a large mixing bowl and beat until soft.
- Cut sweet potato in half lengthways and scoop out the flesh with a spoon adding it to the bowl with the butter. Add egg and mix to combine.
- Add the milk, vinegar, chives and feta and mix well.
- Add the baking powder and flour over the top.
- Use a spatula or a butter knife to gently combine and then use your hands to bring it together. It should still be lumpy and not all perfectly together – don’t over mix it here.
- Tip it out onto a lightly floured bench.
- Knead gently for around 1 minute, by lifting one side of the dough and folding into the centre and then pressing down with the bottom of your palm. Don’t overdo it.
- Sprinkle a little more flour on the bench and gently press out the dough to about 4cm thick.
- Use a scone cutter to cut out scones. Lay scones alongside each other on a baking tray lined with baking paper. They should be touching. Brush tops with extra milk.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden on the tops.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with butter.
∗ Scones are perfect stored individually wrapped in cling film in the freezer for up to 3 months. They
can be popped into a lunchbox in the morning and will thaw by recess or lunch. Just pack a little
container of butter or even cream cheese to spread on top.
|Address:||63 Nar Nar Goon Rd.
Nar Nar Goon Vic. 3812
|Phone:||(03) 5942 5205|
|Fax:||(03) 5942 5448|